Window coverings such as shades, blinds, and shutters offer noise reduction, light control, and increased privacy, and they add beauty to any space. They’re available in various styles, materials, textures, and colours.
They are types that could actually help save energy.
Window Blinds Shopping Guide
Without enough information about these window coverings, finding the right one for your house can be overwhelming. So check out these tips to buying window blinds:
1. Consider the space: Before taking into account the ornamental sides of window blinds, take into consideration how and where they’ll be used.
If you’ll use window blinds in a family room with a beautiful view with lots of sunlight, consider blinds with glare and UV reduction qualities such as sheers or shades to protect furniture and keep a room from overheating.
If you have a French door or a sliding door in the kitchen, opt for vertical blinds.
A bathroom requires privacy and something that can resist moisture, so consider aluminum, PVC, faux wood, or sealed hardwood window blinds that will not crack, warp, or rot.
2. Match the style of the area. Traditional or modern, plain or decorative, the style you want to go with is the one that will match the room’s design.
If you wish your window blinds to be the room’s focus point, go with brightly coloured shades, blinds, sheers, and shutters.
If you wish your window blinds to just blend into the background, opt for simple ones.
3. Keep your kids and pets safe. The risks presented by lead paint, loose headrails, wand controls, and cords have been greatly minimized because of modern innovations in the design of blinds.
Developments such as retractable lift cords, motorized systems, and cord tensioners offer better pet and children safety, and ease of use.
Advancements in window blinds technology such as software apps and remote controls let homeowners to open and close the window blinds from anywhere, offering improved convenience and safety.
4. Think about the ease of cleaning. Most window blinds do not require frequent cleaning. All of them will gather dust, but with the new anti-static treatment, the amount of dust has been greatly reduced.
Regular light dusting or vacuuming will help keep them looking lovely for a significant length of time. Some types of window blinds with sensitive fabric are more suitable for professional cleaning techniques.
5. Let an expert measure and install the blinds. Measuring for window blinds is crucial. If you have many windows or you have big ones that are in places that are hard to reach, measurements for the blinds can be a difficult thing to do. It is in your best interest to leave this task to a professional.
Likewise, installation should be left with a specialist.