Maintenance of Aluminium Venetian Blinds:
Keeping your aluminium Venetian blinds looking as good as new need not be difficult, in fact, with regular maintenance you will cut down the frequency of deep cleaning.
- Extend your blinds all the way.
- Tilt the louvers up and dust lightly with a cloth or duster.
- Turn the slats down and dust the other side gently.
- Or use of a soft cloth glove. Grip each slat between your thumb and forefinger; softly run them along each slat. To prevent damage, don’t use too much pressure or crease the vanes.
- A vacuum cleaner may also be used utilising the soft brush fitting. Run very gently over the louvers first in their up position then in the down position. First test a small area of the Venetian blinds to make certain the suction isn’t too great. Very powerful vacuums may damage the louvers.
- For individual spots on a louver, spray with window cleaner, wait 1 or 2 minutes, and wipe using a soft rag.
What you will need:
- Big blankets or tarps (to put your blinds on)
- Cleaning liquid
- Soft scrubbing brush or Sponge mop
- Old towels
- Remove the aluminium blinds from your window, leaving the hardware in place. Assemblies for blinds vary, and you may require a screwdriver for this step. Warning: It’s always recommended that you have an assistant, particularly if you have to use a ladder.
- Take them outside and put on each one on a blanket or tarp, ensuring that they’re fully extended, vanes shut.
- Combine cleaning fluid with water inside the bucket (usually 1 part cleaner to 4 parts water for non-fabric blinds). Tip: Car wash fluid or vinyl washing products work best, particularly if you have stuck-on grime or grease, but liquid dishwashing soap will also work well.
- Pour the bucket of soapy liquid on the blinds, being sure to wet all slats.
- Using the soft scrubbing brush or sponge mop, scrub the louvers thoroughly.
- Turn your metal Venetian blinds over, and repeat the treatment on the other side.
- Rinse off any soapy remains. Tip: Hose off either side completely-if soap dries on the slats, it’ll attract more dirt and grime.
- Clean up excess water from the blinds with the towels.
- Bring inside and rest flat (on a towel) to dry completely prior to re-hanging.
Or You Can Wash Them Indoors:
- Fill up bathtub with tepid soapy water.
- Place blinds inside the bathtub, fully extended, vanes shut.
- Allow to soak for 15 minutes.
- With the soft scrubbing brush, brush each louver to get rid of dust and grime.
- Flip the blinds, and brush again.
- Drain the soiled water.
- Turn on the shower and rinse the Venetian blinds (both sides). Tip: A hand-held shower nozzle is quite useful.
- Lay the venetian blinds on their side (leaning against the edge of the tub) and let the water drain.
- After about 20 minutes, place on the opposite side to avoid pooling of excess water in the crevices, allow to air dry for an additional 20 minutes.
Tip: In case you’re pressed for time, a hair dryer set at its lowest heat to aid speed up the drying process.
Caution: Don’t keep the hair dryer too near to the aluminium louvers, or use it on a hot temperature, otherwise you could damage the louvers.
- Towel off any lingering water, and re-install.
For more information or advice on our range of aluminium Venetian blinds, contact us today on (021) 557-7711.
Submit your review